Finding the Right Therapy for ED
While some men find success using oral medications or sublingual medications, others may find success using a vacuum erection device like a vacuum pump. However, some men do not have success with those methods either and opt to use penile injections, sometimes with the help of an auto-injector device.
General Overview of Men’s Sexual Health
“Erectile dysfunction… is an erection that’s just not suiting your needs; whether that be not firm enough, or not lasting long enough. It does not have to be the complete failure of obtaining an erection.”
Watch this video first in the series of videos concerning men’s sexual health.
Learn More with Town & Country Compounding’s Men’s Sexual Health Video Series
Mechanical Vacuum Pump
These pumps, which are available at the pharmacy without prescription, have been long used by men to achieve a successful erection. A retention ring is used to maintain the erection during intercource. The pump may be used as a form of physical therapy.
Some men may not find success in the use of oral medications or mechanical devices for ED, whether it be due to surgical intervention, medical conditions, or medication interactions. For those looking for a better option, we compound a penile injection, commonly known as a tri-mix, quad-mix or bi-mix injection.
Patients may have difficulty manipulating the syringe or dealing with needles when administering their penile injections such as prostaglandin, tri-mix, quad-mix and bi-mix. The auto-injector provides an easier and more friendly way to administer injections.
Schedule a Men’s Sexual Health Expert Consultation
If you would like a consult with one of our pharmacists about supplement and nutritional suggestions, Rx information options, and device information options, schedule a private consultation:
- 45 minutes for $150
- Consult questionnaire and Lab testing options can be provided before the consultation if you would like.
- If you order ZRT home testing kits from us, you get a free 15-minute consultation to go over results and a plan.
Knowing Your Testosterone Levels
Separate from ED, men may complain of lack of desire, which we can also help with. Supplements can often help with libido or sex drive. Testosterone is a factor that will not necessarily correct ED but can help with the “want to” or desire.
Test Your Testosterone Levels at Home
Testosterone and other levels are done with this easy to use saliva test that can be done at your home.
Nitric Oxide in Men and Women
The prevalence of moderate Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in the United States appears to be about 20% in the total adult male population, 30%–50% in those aged over 40, and greater than 60% in men older than 70. The saying goes that ‘Erectile Dysfunction is Endothelial Dysfunction’ where ED is explained by failings in the cardiovascular system. This is why NO, a vital molecule in cardiovascular health, is essential in effectively tackling ED. Coupled with this, many of the most popular traditional ED medications have been shown to be ineffective when NO levels in the body are not optimal.
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder affects up to 70% of women with at least 25% of women unable to reach an orgasm. These incidences increase with age; however, it does not have to be an inevitable symptom of aging. Sexual responsiveness in women requires adequate blood flow to the vagina and clitoris. Nitric oxide is an important signaling molecule in healthy circulation and has a central role in female sexual response to arousal. NO acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain affecting the release of oxytocin which is central in the modulation of sexual behavior. Oxytocin is called the ‘Love Hormone’ or the ‘Cuddle Chemical’. Oxytocin increases nitric oxide production, and levels are greatly increased after an orgasm.
Nitric Oxide Supplements*
Known as the missing piece in sexual health, nitric oxide (NO) is an essential gas in our system and is responsible for the proper function of a lot of our metabolism (circulatory, respiratory, cardiac) and in our sexual function. ED medications have been shown to be ineffective when nitric oxide (NO) levels are imbalanced.
Sexual Health: Nitric Oxide Test Strips
There are many factors that affect your nitric oxide levels including age, stress, alcohol, diabetes, and smoking. For both men and women, the enzyme dependent pathway for producing nitric oxide is reduced to 50% of its capacity by the time we are 40. It is therefore important to maintain NO levels through an alternative pathway which relies on nitrate intake from diet or supplementation to maintain adequate circulation.
By taking a 15-second saliva test today you can check your NO levels and, if needed, learn from us some quick and easy ways to improve your levels.